To Commit Suicide Is Not Easy – Man Who Attempted To Jump Into Lagos Lagoon Recounts Experience

Suicide

A frustrated Lagos resident who had been ill for over 36 years, has revealed his decision to end his life by attempting to jump into the lagoon from the 3rd Mainland Bridge.
Joseph Onweji

A 58-year-old man, Joseph Onweji, who recently attempted to commit suicide, has finally broken his silence over his decision to end it all by attempting to jump into the lagoon from the popular 3rd Mainland Bridge at Oworoshoki area of Lagos State.
While speaking in an exclusive interview with New Telegraph, Onweji, a resident at Iju-Ishaga area of the state, who attempted to take his life on Monday, said he had been ill for over 36 years, adding that the sickness used to make him uncomfortable, restless and sleepless.
“I became afflicted with the mysterious illness after I visited the site, where I was building my house. I have been sick for a long time. This illness started when I was just 22 years old. I was building a two-bedroom flat at Ibadan.
 
“On one occasion, when I visited my site, I noticed that unknown people abandoned plywood in front of my doorstep. Later that day, when I was taking my bath, I felt a burning sensation on my body.
 
“I felt really hot. I couldn’t sleep for days. Since that day, I have been feeling restless. I can’t even sleep. I spent two months at a Psychiatric Hospital, Yaba, where I received all sorts of treatments. The doctors were unable to cure me of the illness.
 
“On that day, about noon, I went to the Third Mainland Bridge. I was about to jump when RRS men saved me. They took me to Alausa, Ikeja. They asked me why I wanted to commit suicide; I told them I was sick,” he said.
When asked why he hadn’t killed himself years ago, he said: “For anyone to kill himself, is not an easy task. If it is easy, I would have done long ago,” Onweji who has since been reunited with his wife and children, said.
Olatunji Disu, the Commander of the Lagos State Rapid Response Squad (RRS), who earlier confirmed the rescue of the suicidal man, said some RRS men were on a regular patrol of the 3rd Mainland Bridge when a roving mechanic drew their attention to a lone man standing by the edge of the bridge and looking into the Lagoon curiously.

Comments

Popular Posts